Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Trial Session #2

This class was held on Tuesday, January 23, 2007. I have to admit that I was anxious to get this class over with. As I wrote in my last blog on this subject, I just don’t see myself going out and offering a bunch of trial sessions to people, especially in relationship to my niche. My coach and I had a good laugh about what that would look like…”Hi, I’m a sexual betrayal coach, can I offer you a trial session on how you have been sexual betrayed by your spouse?”

Several people shared that they had tried to have a trial session. It seemed like less than 50% were successful. Many people did trial sessions on people that they knew already…they said that it was awkward and ‘corny’. They noted that it was unnatural to have that type of conversation with someone you know.

We discussed that the trial sessions shouldn’t only be about getting a client. It is important to make sure that the client is right for you, to make sure that the two of you are aligned. The trial session is also for us, the coaches, to practice articulating what it is we do.

Bill walked us through a “Real Goals Exercise”. It was an example of a way to bring people into coaching from a trial session. It helps the client see what they really want. It also gives the coach a platform to coach from. I think I may be able to use this exercise when I talk with women who are having a hard time articulating what they really want, particularly in relationship to their spouse.

No comments: