Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Getting Started Part 2

This class took place on Tuesday, January 9, 2007. Bill took sometime to overview what was discussed in the last class (before the winter break). I was confident at that time that I was well on my way. I had already formulated what my practice looked like, what I was going to charge and what my niche would be. I already had two clients and was moving forward quickly. Since that class I have put together a brochure and ordered business cards. So I still feel like I am “Getting Started” fairly well.

The focus of this second class was “What are the things that are holding us back?” I had actually discussed this a little bit with my husband already because I found myself feeling such huge disappointment when clients didn’t want to do the work. I probably thought at some level it was about my coaching – that I wasn’t able to motivate them toward their goals. I realize that this not true. I know that I can only help those who want help and I can only do what I can do, they have to do the real work.

A few points that Bill brought up for us to think about were: Income activities vs. busy activities…are things we are focusing on bringing income or are we spinning our wheels? What do I offer as a coach? I have also spent some time on this because I am working on my Business Action Plan and what I have to offer is a big part of that. I believe I have a story to offer. I coach women who have been sexually betrayed by their husbands and I want to share what I have learned to help other women not live with the lies and the traps that I lived in. And, fee negotiations – most of us tend to under value our strengths. I have changed my fee structure several times already. At first I did under value what I had to offer. My husband encouraged me in this area. Then I wanted to offer more of myself as part of a package. Now I find myself listening to the clients and finding a place that works for both of us. I have a set fee and I work from there…knowing that I have a valuable service to offer but also wanting to give help to those who want it.

It seems like it will all be a continual process and I don’t think that I will ever stop making changes and revising my Business Plan or my practice. Being in a service oriented field means making sure you are servicing the clients and that always changes.

No comments: