Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Acknowledgement #1

I was very excited about taking my first Advanced Coaching I class. I am one of those types of people that are somewhat systematic about the way I go about doing things. Although I don’t have all my Foundation Classes completed I am getting close, I have been working on the power tools and the business classes as well and I have all the Foundation classes on the calendar so I figured it would be advantageous to start on the next set of classes. I am looking forward to stepping up to the next level of challenges in the ‘Advanced’ classes.

So today, Wednesday, January 17, 2007, I begin with Acknowledgement. Joanne shared an article by Cheryl Richardson that was about how we can acknowledge those around us even in small ways. Many people shared stories of ways they have acknowledged people in their lives. I felt very anxious to share how I acknowledged my husband about how he has given me wings and that I know that not everyone has a husband that allows their wife to soar the way mine has, but it was impossible to get a word in with so many people on the line and so many people who wanted to talk, I eventually gave up and muted my phone and decided to just listen.

I was encouraged to make acknowledgement a little more a part of my normal conversations in my personal life. Specifically, I was encouraged to continue acknowledging my clients. Words like: “I believe in you.” “Well done.” “I see you have these qualities…” “I’m so proud of you.” I was pleased with myself that I was able to say without any reservation that I have acknowledged in sessions.

One place I need to work on, as my coach has brought to my attention, is acknowledging myself for accomplishments…I often just move on to the next thing on my list and don’t take the time to acknowledge myself. Our fieldwork for this week is to think of one person that we would like to acknowledge and to do so and report back next week. I have not yet decided on whom that someone will be. I am trying to think of someone outside of my family. Let you know next week!

No comments: