Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Game vs. Significance #2

I took the second part of Game vs. Significance on Wednesday, January 17, 2007. There was a lot of good dialogue around what people did to make a game out of things that are significant for them. Many people had issues around money and what they could do to make it less significant. There was also someone who shared that he was trying to smile more and a woman who made a game around decorating her home with her husband and trying to keep it from becoming overly significant between the two of them. I was impressed with the different things that people came up with to try…very creative.

I haven’t been able to come up with a ‘game’ for something significant in my life, maybe because I don’t tend to take things too seriously and know that ultimately God is in control. However, I am very irritated with our puppy…how can I make a game out of dealing with him? I guess I’ll think on this.

We discussed ways to lighten: “Is getting significant about this situation going to improve it?” “Were I on my death bed would I be glad I was significant about…?” “What is the craziest way I could solve this problem, what solution would make me laugh out loud?”

I think, overall, I still don’t really care for this power tool…it seems a little peculiar. I am not sure where that comes from in me…maybe I just don’t know how to be creative in coming up with wacky games…maybe I don’t get significant so it is hard for me to see the value in this. I sort of feel like it is belittling others feelings, particularly clients, when we suggest they make a game out of something that they are serious about. I work with people who have had severe betrayal and wounds occur in their life and it seems a bit callous to suggest making it a game.

I realize that the concept is, ‘we don’t take away from the importance of the issue but rather help them to not let it take over their life’. But I still haven’t been able to embrace this power tool.

No comments: