Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Commitment vs. Trying #1

The first class of this course was held on Wednesday, January 24, 2007. As I read the material for this power tool I quickly found a lot of value in it. It is a simple concept but powerful when using it to pick up on whether a client is really committed to what they say they are or if they have already defeated themselves.

We started by focusing on the statement in the reading material that says, “There is never a time, not even a split second, when we are not committed.” We discussed whether we thought this was a true statement. It was a tough one to wrap our heads around. However, I feel like this statement is true (even when we are sitting on the couch watching TV). We can be committed to just relaxing, resting or ‘doing nothing’, but by the very fact that it is what we are doing we are committed to it.

Trying was defined at giving up, persistence, focusing on failure, self-defeating, never actually achieving, difficult, challenging, uncertain of the outcome.

Commitment was defined as permanent, responsibility, awareness of what you are committed to, determination, accountable, promise, strength of convictions, purpose, dedication, seeing it through, faith.

The very definitions that we came up with point to completion of a goal when we are committed and failure when we are not committed. What am I committed to? My husband, my children, my faith in Jesus, being a good wife and mother, finishing ICA. In that commitment I feel like I have been successful in these areas. I have structure that helps me to achieve in these areas.

“Trying is putting forth effort, commitment is creating structure that helps facilitate the realization of that goal. “ Coaching is about setting up structure. What is the structure in place that will help to reach this goal? Coaching is about action but it is also about creating awareness. Awareness has choices. We may have an Underlying Automatic Commitment, an unconscious belief that is driving ones behavior? They are things that you are committed to but may not be aware of.

Red flag words: should, ought, need – haven’t really come to terms with…

There was a lot discussed in this class and I feel like I have a good handle on it and look forward to flushing it out a little more next week.

No comments: