Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Game vs. Significance #1

Going into this class on Wednesday, January 10, 2007, I was frustrated about the material. The word significance to me makes me think about things that really matter to me. As we started to define Game and Significance I was surprised at the negative connotations that others put with the word significance. Significance was described as self-importance, no room to move, heavy and serious. Game, on the other hand, was defined as process oriented, a playful joyful state, creates a challenge, is receptive and open.

It was discussed that when we take life or a particular issue too seriously either people won’t want to be around us or we push people away because we are too focused on this ‘thing’. That when we are focused on being significant we are not authentic with others…we are too focused on the significance to let ourselves be real and vulnerable. I am able to think of people that are too significant but I don’t see myself that way. Maybe I am clueless about myself but I learned years ago that in life you have to have a perspective about things that “It is what it is.” Someone once said to my husband (who used to be very significant) “Will it matter in one hundred years.” We can’t control everything and we need to learn how to respond to things that ‘matter’ in such a way that we don’t become significant.

We were challenged to answer the question, “What is one thing that is significant in my life?” I think I have many things in my life that I take seriously or that really matter to me, but not so much that I lose perspective on it or that I am unable to see it for what it is. We were challenged to apply game in our life on this one thing that we are significant about. I will be spending this week trying to watch myself to see if I am being significant in some way that I have not been aware of.

As I think about my coaching clients who may be significant I think it will come back to helping them re-frame their perspective…”When life deals you lemons make lemonade.” “It’s a moment not a monument.” Etc… I feel the challenge this week for me will be self analysis to make sure that I am not significant…like I think I am.

No comments: