Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Perspective

I loved this course! I took this course on Tuesday, November 14 and Tuesday, November 21, 2006. In recent years I have applied this concept to my own life but I just called it being content. For a long time I struggled with contentment and wanting to have what others had or to be what others were. When I discovered that it was an issue of contentment I was able to look at all I did have and the many blessing God had given me and find contentment where I was.

That is what perspective is all about. We can choose to stew in our misery and the things that life has dealt us or we can make the best of the situation and move forward, working through things one day at a time. Reframing is a great tool to changing ones perspective. The saying “When life deals you lemons, make lemonade” is so simple in concept but sometimes difficult to put into action.

In the second class one of the other students shared that she had lost her husband in the World Trade Center attack. While I listened to her talk about how life had given her a rotten deal and how she learned to take what she had gone through and reframe her perspective, I was inspired. I also was able to think about the women I coach. Many of the women I coach have husbands who want to participate in the process of healing, however, I occasionally have a woman whose husband does not want to stop his infidelity. I was encouraged about how to help these women to get to a place where they can accept this difficult place they are in as well as take steps to a healthier well-being. I will be coaching and living from a place of reframing perspective. It seems to me there is really no other way.

No comments: