Friday, January 12, 2007

Foundations to Coaching #1

I wanted to take this course a few months ago when I first began at ICA. I was unable to find a class that worked with my schedule. In some courses I have heard a lot about not giving opinions and just asking questions and I was really hung up on that concept because it seemed so rigid and made me wonder how helpful I can be in that facet. I appreciated Merci saying, “Coaching is not that rigid. Coaching doesn’t have absolutes or definites.” It is more about finding out what the client wants from the relationship. I agree that the role of the coach is to help the client find the answers to their questions and to help them move forward to accomplish their goals, but it seems to me like the coaching role needs to be flexible…based on the clients needs.

Merci brought up our “story” and what role that can play in our coaching. I love this! Everything in my life and ministry is about “my story”. I believe strongly that what we have to offer personally plays a huge role in coaching. We discussed how sharing just a little bit about our own experience in a particular issue can help someone open up and also feel hopeful. They might look at us as the coach and feel like if we were able to work through a particular area then they can as well. People want to be coached by people who live extraordinary lives.

I was, however, challenged to be a little more question focused. I am going to spend some time working on my repertoire of “power questions”. Even though Merci said that coaching is more flexible and that it isn’t rigid to just asking questions she did emphasis that she uses a technique that allows people to experience coaching through questions only and that it is pretty fantastic.

No comments: