Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Trust vs. Doubt #2

I took the second class in this power tool on Tuesday, April 17, 2007. I am unable to recall why I didn’t take the second part of this course the week following the first one. There was a class that I was unable to get on to, it may have been this one…anyway.

I enjoyed the approach the facilitator took with the class. We talked about trusting ourselves and how to empower our clients to trust themselves. The facilitator was coaching one of the students a bit about a situation that he was dealing with and she felt like she was unable to move the clients from a stuck place and she “fell into the trap” of trying to give the client the solution. It was interesting to see this happen and to think about my own coaching and how easy it is to just tell the client x, y or z instead of trusting that they will get to the conclusion eventually. I think we can become impatient when a client doesn’t move at our pace, we can end up trying to move them along and it really does them a disservice.

The other aspect that was touched on briefly was helping our clients to shift perspective from having a problem to something else. It was brought up that helping them look at the problem as a challenge or adventure could motivate them to keep moving forward. The facilitator brought up the fact that we may have clients that just like to have a ‘problem’. Some people may just get bored if life just goes along and so they find something to complain about or even create a problem. I have not encountered this yet but I think that with the type of women I will be coaching that I may run into a few perpetual victims. This class made me put that possibility into my mental file cabinet so that hopefully it will come to mind should that type of person come along.

1 comment:

Lucianne Rivers said...

Hi Rebecca,

We haven't connected at ICA yet. I hope we do so in the near future!

I've blogrolled you! Check out www.acting4lifejournal.wordpress.com.

Lucy