Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Peer Coaching #3

The third class in this course was held on Wednesday, April 18, 2007. The class was primarily a time of sharing our experiences as a peer coach or peer client. Angela had people who were coaching share where they were finding their clients. The answers varied from the Discussion Board to in class and through the ICA community ‘chat’. Although it was rumored to be difficult to get peer clients many people, as I have, found that it has actually been quite easy. I am about 3 weeks away from finishing up with my first 2 peer clients. I will probably start to look for my last peer client soon. I am not feeling too pressured about it because I still have so many other requirements to complete that I think I have some time.

Angela recommended that we have a record of our coaching so that we can get accredited by the ICF. I have a spreadsheet that records who I’ve coached and for how long and if they paid.

There was an intense discussion about clients crying and what to do with that. Is it ok for our clients to cry? Should we acknowledge it or just keep going? Should we feel bad? I am very comfortable with my clients crying…it happens all the time. I think it is important to acknowledge the pain, fear, relief, or whatever it is that brought the tears. I think ignoring it is too removed, at least for me. I want to be in the moment with my clients, just as if they were celebrating a win I want to emotional embrace them when they are crying as well. For me, this is a non-issue.

No comments: