Thursday, May 31, 2007

Moving Forward #2

The second class in this course was held on Thursday, May 31, 2007. Joanne shared a concept that is out there called a “Do It, Ditch It and Delegate It Day”. The idea is that clients call in and say what it is they need to do, ditch or delegate. Then they check back in after they have done this. It is a great concept about making decisions about what really serves your life. Sometimes we need to give up something in order to move forward. As I think about what I have had to give up in order to ‘move forward’ I think the biggest thing would be my own expectations. As a coach this is not something that people who want to reach goals would say we should give up but I was getting stuck in my own expectations instead of opening myself up to see what life had for me, or more specifically what God had for me. I found out that it was much greater than what I had for myself.

Start, Stop & Continue is another take on this concept. What do we need to stop doing? What do we need to start doing? What do we need to continue doing and move forward in? I think that this sort of self evaluation, either for ourselves or our clients, is valuable in the moving forward process.

We talked a lot about what motivates a person to move forward. Is it something that we gain (i.e. money, power or status) or is it something that is in our heart? Would we still want to accomplish x, y or z if there wasn’t anything tangible to gain from it? For me I think that the heart is the driving force behind why I start something. Coaching is an example of this. I wanted to fulfill a need that I heard from women over and over again. However, the rewards I receive (seeing someone have hope, money, etc.) all keep me motivated to stay the course. It also helps me to celebrate my accomplishments in small ways.

No comments: