Friday, May 4, 2007

Powerful Questions #1

The first class in this course was held on Thursday, May 03, 2007. I gained a lot from the reading material for this module. The class was structured very much around the reading material…going through the different types of questions and what purpose they serve. The other students in the class had the same insight that I had from the reading material basically that lower level questions can lead to higher level questions and closed ended questions can lead to open ended questions.

We eventually turned to characteristics of powerful questions: We discussed the use of certain words: Who, what, where, when, why and how – staying away somewhat from why. Someone brought up using positive words like ‘best’ (ie. “How can I coach you best around that area?”

I really found this module to be helpful to get a word picture of what questioning looks like. I don’t think I gained any new insight in the class that wasn’t in the reading material but I found the discussion about types of questions and how they can be used in a coaching session very helpful.

No comments: