Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Business Building Group Coaching

This is the very last Business Building class I have! This particular class was held on Tuesday, May 15, 2007. Once again this class is now a ‘group coaching’ class rather than a specific business building technique.

Jim began the class by asking everyone what they wanted to get coaching on. I was not really prepared for this because I have taken most of the classes under the old format and feel like I have a good grasp on the business side of my coaching practice. It took nearly half of the class time for everyone to share what they wanted to coach around. The theme of the class was around targeted marketing.

Jim started by tackling some of the issues around targeted marketing and teaching people ways to better focus on a niche target. One way that he did this was through “mind mapping” – he used the 5 “W’s” = Who, What, Where, When and Why, to help students focus on narrowing down a broad market into something more specific. I think this approach can be used in coaching clients as well. Often time we see things too big and to take the time to focus on these aspects can help us to bring it down to a more manageable size.

Jim also talked about where to go for resources and networking. NBI was brought up and explained a little more in depth which was great for me because I didn’t really understand how it worked – I won’t use it but it was helpful information. Newspapers, and magazines, even those specifically targeting women were brought us as useful places to not only market but find useful resources or contacts.

Overall, it was good final class in business building and I feel very comfortable about where I am at for the time being. I felt the modules were helpful and I am sure that I will refer back to them at some point in time.

No comments: