Thursday, May 17, 2007

Powerful Questions #3

The last class for this course was held on Thursday, May 17, 2007. Joanne facilitated the class by having a couple mini-coaching sessions. The goal for each coaching session was for us to identify powerful questions. The first one had many powerful questions, one that stood out to me was “How can I best coach you around that…?” also, “What is the best case scenario and the worst case scenario?” I have sometimes used, “What is the worst thing that can happen or come of this situation?” These types of questions help the client to see accurately what they are facing. Sometimes the client may be significant about a particular thing but when they look at it in this perspective they are able to see that maybe it isn’t something to get that worked up over.

The second coaching session was difficult. As I was listening I was struggling to figure out where I’d go with the session myself. One question the coached asked was “Is there any thing favorable about…” I really liked this question although it didn’t work in this situation. It is a good question that can shift the client’s perspective. As it turned out this question was powerful for the client because even though she wasn’t able to come up with an answer she said that it would stick with her and keep her thinking about it long after the session, even the next time the situation comes up.

Overall I feel like I learned from this course that asking powerful questions can have many levels or different effects on the client. First, it can be a question that moves the client to deeper thinking and an “aha” moment. Second, that the client doesn’t have to have an answer for that question for it to be powerful...the lasting effects might be what is powerful. Third, some questions might ‘flop’ and we just need to plug along and ask the next question. I found this class to be very helpful and encouraging.

No comments: