Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Goal Setting #2

This class was held on Wednesday, March 07, 2007. Class began today with discussing the idea of changing the ‘language’ you use when setting goals. It seems that people get hung up on ‘setting goals’ and it may be helpful to focus more on what the client wants to accomplish and moving forward from there. How much time is spent with clients talking about goals? For me the sessions revolve around the overall goal. I don’t spend a lot of time talking about the actual goal but more what has been occurring throughout the week that moves towards the goal. A lot of the people in my class are working with very measurable goals…my clients are dealing with more long term goals that are not measurable by practical means but rather are achieved through greater satisfaction or contentment in life.

At the end of class we experienced a ‘goal setting’ coaching session. As the facilitator was calling on someone with a goal and someone who was willing to coach I was feeling a bit intimidated about volunteering. Finally a couple of people volunteered to do this and I felt like it was weird. The whole thing seemed too contrived and uncomfortable…the feedback from the class was very positive and it makes me wonder what I am missing. I can’t see myself having my client close their eyes and visualize my little ‘story’. I guess I need to formulate how I will help my clients set their goals in my own style. I think I will tend to do this through asking questions, not visual meditation.

No comments: