Monday, February 5, 2007

Commitment vs. Trying #2

I was unable to take the second class in this course with the group that I originally started with due to being in the hospital. So, I took the second class on Monday, February 05, 2007. This group of people equated commitment with freedom. The fear of losing freedom of ‘something’ keeps us from completely committing to things.

One student on the call shared that she had an ‘epiphany’ that she was committed to too many things. This really rang true for me. I think I tend to try to do everything and to do it all 100%. The battle of always feeling like I need to do better and need to do more leaves me exhausted and sometimes feeling like I haven’t done everything to its fullest potential. It was also interesting that the idea of ‘resting’ came up because this is an area that I have been challenged in since starting at ICA. Before starting school I always gave myself permission to rest during my ‘little one’s’ nap time, now I find that I fill her nap time with classes and clients.

There could also be a mismatch between what we say we are committed to and what our core values are. Is your time being used wisely more important than seeing something through to the end even if you aren’t excited about what you are doing? Do we commit to things that we don’t like or enjoy? Do we commit to clients that we don’t like? How do we manage when we are in situations where we are committed to things that we don’t enjoy? If we have a client that we don’t really enjoy but yet we are committed to in a coaching relationship? I think that a re-frame or shift in perspective can help. What can we gain or how can we grow by this commitment. I think for me I will remember the goal and need that brought me into coaching. I may not ‘click’ with every woman that wants coaching from me but what I have to offer is a service that can benefit them even if it isn’t uplifting or fulfilling for me. I know that I am not coaching just to be fulfilled but also because there are so many people who need what I have to offer. It is about being selfless instead of selfish.

No comments: