Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Creating Structure #1

The first class in this course was held on Wednesday, February 14, 2007. As is typical in many classes we started by defining “Structure”: being organized, creating a framework, having a system, guidelines, foundation, support, process. Some people feel that structure is BAD…limitation, boring, confinement. “Structures are meant to support our life not limit it.”

Coaching practice structure: coaching model, prep forms, appointment book, length of sessions, how client pays, how to handle cancellations.

Standards are for me. What my client can count on me for. Level of commitment, principals and values, define our beliefs.

Boundaries are for others. What I expect from my clients. How do they know what I expect from them? What I will allow in my life.

I feel I have a good grasp on what my standards and boundaries are in coaching. So far I haven’t run into any problems that require me being overly specific about these. I’ve kept my list of “do’s” and “don’ts” pretty basic – short and sweet.

As far as “Policies” I have written a coaching contract and a brochure that outline the basic policies and procedures for coaching. I also use the first session, either a trial session or actual session, to verbalize these basic policies and procedures to the client.

Bill said “You want to create a structure that will attract the type of clients you want to coach.” I feel I have done this and that is why I haven’t run into difficulty in this area. There seems to be like-mindedness between my clients and me that makes this an easy fit.

No comments: