Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Structures #3

The third and final class in the Structures course was held on Wednesday, September 12, 2007. Since it is the last class I expected that Karen would have us do some coaching in class. The first coaching session was about a person that was thing to cut some things out of her life, wanting to slow down and get away from the hecticness. As it turned out it was more about cultural connection and needing to stay socially connected with her friends when she moves. The structure that she came up with was that she needed to make sure she had times on her calendar when she could get together with other women of her culture regularly. The coach was able to get her talking therefore she was able to come up with some thoughts about what she could do. The coach did a great job of getting her to commit to making a plan.

Karen shared some ways that she uses structures in coaching. Values clarifications assessment, does the decision they are making line up with what they say their values are. I really like this structure!!! As a coach listening for these values and acknowledging them when they are fitting into that and challenging them or helping them see if their decision doesn’t align.

A coaching model is a structure. I use my coaching model while I coach. I’m sure that I don’t hit on every single aspect in ever session but I use it as a guide to keep me focused on moving forward in the coaching relationship and staying well-rounded in my overall coaching role.

Karen also shared self-care as a structure for the coach. That we go into a session ready to engage the client…hydrated, rested, spiritually balanced and emotionally stable and present. I think this is one that I do naturally just because this is who I am. I know for some people who may have a more hectic life (another job or family issues) they may not always be very together. I am at a place in life that I have lived through intense crisis and even if my life isn’t going great I am able to keep it in perspective and function pretty much the same. Admittedly I’ve not always been grounded enough for that but I feel I am now.

I think the biggest thing that I take away from this class is the values assessment. I think on a subconscious level I am aware of general values and belief systems but really focusing in on whether the client is acting within their own belief system is something I plan to give more attention to.

No comments: