Thursday, September 13, 2007

Empowering #3

The third and final class in this course was held on Thursday, September 13, 2007. As expected we were to engage in some coaching practice around ‘empowering’. The person who volunteered to be the client was dealing with a situation where they were having trouble at work – sort of a third wheel, animosity type issue. The coach did a good job listening to the client and gave a suggestion about calling a meeting with her team, a little while later she suggested not being a part of a team. I think it was difficult to ask questions around this but may she could have tried “What have you tried to resolve this issue?” “What are other options for a solution?” “What do you desire in the long run for your business?” I don’t like to have a critical attitude of the coaching sessions but I felt the coach gave too many suggestions. The coach eventually got back to asking what the client could do in the next week to look towards changing her circumstances. She also encouraged her and empowered her that she doesn’t have to “buy into the drama”. She summed up the session by asking her what she took away from the session.

The observers saw some good things…being present, acknowledging the client, helping her shift her perspective, helping her get in touch with what it would feel like to ‘do’ something else, taking her into action and overall empowering her.

As I think about ‘empowering’ my clients I hope that I do. The women that I coach often times feel powerless as a result of the breakdown in the marriage. My desire is that I am able to help them see that they are not powerless and help them to discover ways that they can be empowered through the own identity in Christ and gifts and talents that they possess.

No comments: