Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Peer Coaching #4

The fourth and final class of this course was held on Wednesday, May 30, 2007. I was very excited to be completing this course. It seems like one of those that just go’s on and on, probably because the classes are so spread out. I have been contemplating my research paper and I am hoping that the topic will be brought up in this last class. According to the info under the Graduation requirements it says that it is talked about in this course and so far I don’t think we have talked much about it.

Since this was the last of four classes we started the class as somewhat of an evaluation of what we have learned from peer coaching.

Angela raised the question: “Are the classes more powerful or doing the coaching more powerful? Which have we learned more from?” I would have to say for me that I have learned more from the classes but that the peer coaching has been what has given me the confidence to coach, the practice of just doing it along with my outside clients. I have also grown in my ability to make ‘small talk’ with people (outside of a coaching situation) whereas I used to struggle to do that with people I don’t know. I have gotten better at asking questions and keeping others talking.

One student was bold enough to share that she found it difficult to coach other coaching students and ‘kudos’ to her for sharing so honestly. I have to agree that it is hard to coach a coach, it is difficult to keep the focus on them – they often try to be the coach. I found this with one of my peer clients. I was challenged to really be on my toes and see when she was trying to make that shift (maybe subconsciously) and be ready to field it and turn it back to her.

Overall, I feel the peer coaching process has been very helpful to the training I have received. It is time consuming and when I was first branching out to find those clients it was a little nerve racking but I have found that I can coach anything and anyone. I have a niche but the principals can be used on any situation. I have learned this about coaching and about myself and that has given me more confidence.

No comments: